Cone Penetration Testing
The new NOVA-CPT equipment is typically sold in cabled version, but is also available in acoustic or radiowave version. The CPT is implemented without use of percussion and requires the installation of anchors in the ground to maximize the power of the hydraulic cylinder for thrust.
Geoprobe Systems® teamed up with Geotech AB of Sweden to be the exclusive US distributor for Geotech AB Cone Penetration Testing tools for geotechnical and environmental studies. Now it is possible to combine the efficiency of Geoprobe® technology (lightweight, mobile) with the innovative cone penetration technique. These cordless CPT probes can be used from a variety of push platforms to provide continuous data, repeatable penetration results, and cost savings over more traditional boring and sampling methods. A CPT test is commonly used to determine the subsurface statigraphy in situ (in place) and to estimate geotechnical parameters of the materials present. The Geotech NOVA CPT system is unique in the geotechnical industry for its cordless data transmission system: a constant stream of data is sent to the surface through the soundingrods. No cable through the rods is needed.
Basic components of the RW NOVA CPT System (clockwise from the left): Instrumentation Cords, Depth Encoder, Computer Interface, RW NOVA Receiver, and RW NOVA Transmitter assembled to the NOVA CPT Probe.
Cone meets the ASTM D-5778 Standard Test Method for Performing Electronic Friction Cone and Piezocone Penetration Testing of Soils. New cordless cone and data transmission technology makes logging quicker and easier!
- This only CPT probe industry-wide that provides a constant stream of real-time data while you’re probing… without a cord downhole. Information collected includes soil resistance on the cone tip, resistance on the outer sides, and pore pressures generated during the test.
- The only data transmission system of its kind.
- The operator does not have to manage data cable as the rods are cycled in and out of the sounding hole. Rod handling is efficient and the risk of cable damage is eliminated.
- New, RW NOVA technology uses radio waves to transmit measurements back to the receiver, opening the door for cordless SCPT, downhole video camera capabilities, and other data collecting sensors.
- Data transmission methods: Cable NOVA, Acoustic NOVA, or RW NOVA.
- New cone design offers 18 bit resolution with improved strength and gauge measurement accuracy.
- Repeatable penetration results.
- Since the rod bore is free and clear, it can be used for lubrication grouting as the rods are pushed into the ground and for retraction grouting (hole sealing) as the rods are pulled.
- Can be used with multiple push platforms: drill rigs, cone trucks, Geoprobe® direct push machines…
- Interpret results quickly with user-friendly CPT-PRO software for comprehensive data evaluation.
CPT log showing Soil Classification, Tip (qc), Sleeve (fs), Pore Pressure (u2), and Friction Ratio (Rf). Log clearly shows the change from clay to sand in both tip pressure (qc) and pore pressure (u2).
Note the steady increase in pore pressure beginning at 36ft (11 m)., indicating the probe encountered the water table.
Log created using CPT-Pro (post-processing software).
There’s lots more to be said about this innovative CPT equipment. To request more detailed information about how this CPT system can work for you, please contact Fabian De Weirdt by phone at +32 (0)67 44 25 41 or visit Getech AB internet site : www.geotech.eu.